Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Politics, abortion, and my Catholic vote

Jimmy Akin is a popular Catholic blogger. He covers everything from complex theological issues to moral society to Battlestar Galactica. I read him occasionally, and was troubled by this post. Basically, he quoted (well, he copied the quotes from the Drudge Report) politicians' responses to the recent Supreme Court ban on partial birth abortions.



I'm pro-life. I'm also a Democrat. In some minds, that poses an insurmountable contradiction. However, I believe that it's possible to vote for a candidate who is not 100% pro-life and still have a clear conscience. Why some Catholics believe that abortion should be the be-all and end-all of your political stance is beyond me. I don't know who I'm going to vote for next year, but I certainly won't discount any candidate based solely on their views on whether abortion should be legal.

No comments: