Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Little Red Hen, Little Red Hen....


This Thursday my Kindergarten classes are going to perform a musical called The Little Red Hen at a PTA meeting. The Little Red Hen contains possibly the worst songs ever recorded. I don't want to take the time to embed any audio in this post, but let me give you a taste of some of the lyrics:

"Not right now
said Dot the Cow
I can't help right now"

"Feeling too fat
said Neil the Cat
I just feel too fat"

Every time one of the characters speaks, each line is immediately followed by a delightful little number such as those above. The songs repeat often, so you end up singing the same ten second song four or five times during the course of the musical.

Even though I absolutely despise the music, I have to admit that I feel a twinge of sadness when I think about this being the last musical I'll put on at Magruder. Each grade level has really surprised me with the level of reading that these kids are capable of. I'm especially proud of the Kindergarteners (possibly not a real word) with speaking parts. These kids just learned how to read and they're doing a great job memorizing their lines. And I know no matter how much the music makes me cringe, I'll still be smiling ear to ear while the kids do the Chicken Dance for the grand finale.

No comments: