Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pinball wizard or compulsive spender?


I came very close to buying a pinball machine today. It was a 1979 Harlem Globetrotters machine, and was on Craigslist for $150. This is an unheard of price for a pinball machine. However, I don't have that kind of money right now. I emailed the girl and told her that if she could hold it for me until Monday when I get paid, I'd pay $200 for it. As soon as I sent the email, I felt guilty. Here I am trying to save and buy something I'll actually be able to use next year in Korea, like a camcorder or telephoto lens for my d70, and immediately I throw all that out the window to buy this thing that's going to sit in storage for a year or more, and may not even work properly. Why do I do this? Why do I feel the need to buy something (usually video game related) that I have no need for whatsoever but is a good deal? As it turns out, she emailed me this afternoon and said that she already sold the machine. I immediately felt a sense of relief, but there's a part of me that thinks if I see a deal like that again, I'll do the same thing. I need to stop spending so much time looking for good deals, because with the internet, they can always be found, and I'll always end up going broke saving money.

No comments: