Friday, October 5, 2007

One of my female students brought in a cd of one of the popular boy bands in Korea, FT Island. I had been wondering in a country as wired as Korea how artists make any money in album sales, since I'm sure downloading tracks off the internet is so commonplace. The package she brought me showed me how. And when I say "package," that's what I mean. The whole operation came in a thick plastic bag. Inside were three keychains, 10 sticker pages, a full-color, nicely bound, 30 page artbook with interviews and bios of the bandmembers, and of course the cd. Total price for everything? 11500 won ($12.58). Now that is what the RIAA needs to do to encourage people to buy records rather than download them. Back in the old LP days, this sort of thing used to be commonplace, but with the advent of the smaller form factor of the compact disc, many record companies abandoned the booklets with lyrics and pictures in favor of a cheaper, single sheet of glossy paper with the production and songwriting credits. It's no wonder people download music now! What else do you get with the music if you buy an album?

No comments: