Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hanging with other foreigners!

On Friday night I ventured downtown by myself to try and find some of the expat bars around Ulsan. After about an hour walking around, I managed to spot another foreigner, so I was able to get directions to benchwarmers, the best expat bar in the old downtown area. I hung out there for awhile, and then came back on Saturday night. It's a pretty laid-back place. After a couple hours, on Saturday night, who should show up but the guy who gave me directions! He's a pretty cool guy, and after a few more beers at Benchwarmers, he took me over to Ulsan University where the other two expat bars are, Tombstone and Purple Haze.

Hanging out with other foreigners is kind of weird though--it shows me how unique my experience has been so far. Since I teach at a public school, I think I have a much closer relationship with more Korean people than most hagwon teachers, and for a lot of them, all of their socialization comes from talking to other foreigners at these bars. I'm glad I've had a chance to make some Korean friends and go out with them. I didn't come halfway around the world just to make friends with other people not from Korea! Check my pictures and movies for last night's revelry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its probably pretty easy to spot either one of you, youre gonna have to get a disguise, maybe like a beard like castro and posssibly his jogging suite as well.
chad