Thursday, June 14, 2007

2 Months and Counting...

Tomorrow is the last day of school. I get a week off, and then I start teaching music technology at the Newport News Summer Institute of the Arts (SIA) until August 3rd. SIA flew by last year, so if that's any indication, August will be here before I know it.

I still haven't figured out where I'm going yet. At first, I thought Incheon, but I was dissuaded by those who thought it was too small (only 2 million people, compared to Seoul's 22 million). I'm 90% sure I want to teach in the public schools, so now I just have to decide on whether to take a job in Incheon or go with 10% of my instincts and take a private school job in Seoul, which I've been offered three so far. I really had my heart set on a public school job in Seoul, but I got an email from SMOE (Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education) saying they weren't taking any more applications for August. After doing more research on Incheon, I don't think it would be a bad place to live--sure, it's not nearly as big as Seoul, but 2 million people is still quite a few, and it looks like they're really doing a lot to make the city the "Hub of Asia" (according to their webpage.) That's the thing about Korea. The country is so wired, everything you can think of has its own webpage. I guess it's getting to be like that to now in the states--I just don't spend too much time on tourist websites here. A plus to living in Incheon is that it's on the coast, which means beaches and easy weekend trips to China. Incheon also has the biggest airport in Korea, so anyone coming to visit me will fly into my city :)

Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive about the whole thing. The important thing, I've been told, is to not take the first job you're offered, because there are 20,000 jobs and only 11,000 teachers to fill them, and with my qualifications of previous teaching experience, I should be able to find a job that I can really look forward to starting once I arrive.

No comments: