Friday, January 4, 2008

I'm back!

Well, kind of. I don't have much to do when I come to school. I only "teach" between 9-10 and 3-4. I put "teach" in quotes because most of the time the students don't show up. That's fine with me--I got an iPod Touch for Christmas and its movie player function has been of immense value to me. I've been watching Boston Legal and all the great (and not so great) video podcasts that are out there.

Let's see, what else...today the principal invited me out for lunch along with one of the English teachers at the school that I don't teach with, as well as some other guy. I figure we'll drive, or at least walk on the road, but no. He takes us straight through a muddy field. In Korea, there are little plots of land used for farming everywhere outside of the biggest cities. So here I was in my dress shoes, walking through a recently plowed field. Not so happy. But at least the food was good--pork bulgogi, some kind of mint-shaped lettuce with a strange (but not bad strange) taste, and some other unidentifiable vegetable. Oh yeah, and Korean style noodles, but they had a fish-based broth so I didn't partake.

I've been putting a lot of thought into what I want to do next year. It looks like selling my car is out of the question, because of the way I decided to pay for it, so I'm considering going back to Newport News and interviewing for a TCIS position, which is basically a technology coordinator job. I know I have the skills for it and there are some TCIS's in the system that will vouch for me. On the other hand, I really do like it here, but it kills me having to pay for a car that I can't drive. Also, although my job here is stress-free, I still miss English conversation outside of the weekends when I trek down to the foreigner's pub. Another upside to the TCIS job is the significant bump in salary--not only would I be able to pay for my car faster, but I'd also be able to pay off my credit card loans that are preventing me from going to grad school.

Oh yeah, grad school. Right now, I've decided that maybe I don't want to be a lawyer after all. It's back on the old Library Science wagon (at least for now.) I'm really interested in document conservation, as I have been, well, forever, and the best place in the country to go for that is The University of Texas at Austin. I checked out their program; it really looks top-notch. Not to mention the awesome music scene in Austin. Who knows what I'll be thinking when the time comes to actually make this decision, though. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: